Tis the season for sneezes and sniffles… Nothing sooths a cold like chicken noodle soup. But why?
My entire family woke up with a head cold recently and I struggled with finding a chicken noodle soup substitute now that we don’t eat chicken. I started by researching why this nostalgic soup is helpful when we’re feeling under the weather.
What I discovered is that mainly the broth contains vitamins, and minerals and the steamy liquid can help to improve upper respiratory symptoms by providing hydration and stimulating nasal clearance. Carrots, celery, onion contain vitamins A and C, and other antioxidants. These help build a strong immune system and fight off viruses. They may help the body recover faster from an illness. Noodles are in carbohydrates, which help you to feel full and give your body fuel. Herbs like parsley, bay leaf, & thyme add more antioxidants to support your immune system.
Chicken typically the star of the dish provides protein, which also supports the immune system. But there are so many benefits to this soup outside of the chicken that maybe it isn’t really necessary. Plant based chicken and lentil pasta also provide a lot of protein so we aren’t even loosing out on anything!
This recipe proves that vegetarians can still reap the benefits of this healing soup!
It may look like a lot but the ingredients are simple. See recipe below for full list and measurements of ingredients.
In a large pot sauté the onions, carrots, celery, chicken substitute and garlic in butter over medium heat until tender and starting to brown.
Add in the thyme, sage, parsley, nutritional yeast, whole bay leaf, turmeric and the vegetable stock and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring it all to a boil.
Remove the bay leaf and add the pasta while you reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the pasta is tender.
At this point you can add spinach or fresh herbs for more nutritional goodness! This soup got me over a cold in two days flat! Don’t take my word for it, try it for yourself!
You will be amazed at the classic chicken noodle soup flavor in this simple, easy to make dish!
Vegetarian Chicken Noodle Soup
This nostalgic soup will take you back to your childhood even without the chicken.
- 3 Tbsp. Butter
- 3 Large Carrots, Diced
- 1 Medium Onion, Finely Chopped
- 3 Large Celery Stalks, Diced
- 1/4 Cup Minced Garlic
- 8 oz Plant Based Chicken Substitute (Sweet Earth Mindful Chik’n)
- 10 Cups Veggie Stock
- 12 oz Thin Spaghetti Pasta
- 1 Tbsp. Dried Parsley
- 2 tsp. Thyme
- 1 tsp. Sage
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/2 tsp. Turmeric
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 4 oz Fresh Spinach (optional)
*1 Tbsp. Nutritional Yeast
- In a large pot sauté the onions, carrots, celery, chicken substitute and garlic in butter over medium heat until tender and starting to brown.
- Add in the thyme, sage, parsley, nutritional yeast, whole bay leaf, turmeric.
- Add the vegetable stock and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring it all to a boil.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Add the pasta while you reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the pasta is tender.
- At this point you can add spinach or fresh herbs if desired.
- Remove from the heat and serve!