This classic tuna casserole isn’t exactly like your mom used to make… It’s better!
I don’t know about you but when I think “healthy dinner” tuna casserole wasn’t what came to mind. Why not? This meal is an excellent source of protein, potassium and vitamin A! Made from scratch, and stuffed full of obvious and not so obvious vegetables this healthier version of the tried and true classic combines my favorite things, easy and healthy!
You are going to need: Veggie pasta, canned tuna, whole milk, butter, flour, frozen peas, cheese, breadcrumbs, garlic powder, parsley, salt & pepper. The the full recipe below for specifics.
Cook the pasta according to the package instructions to al dente. Drain and set aside.
Melt the butter until starting to bubble.
Add in the flour and cook 2-3 minutes until golden and bubbling.
Add in the seasoning and slowly start adding in the milk.
Bring the mixture to a boil and as it starts to thicken add in your cheese.
Once the cheese is fully melted add the sauce to the pasta.
Add in the frozen peas and flaked tuna and mix well.
Bake at 350 F for 15 minutes.
After 15 minutes top with breadcrumbs and additional cheese.
Bake another 5-10 minutes until golden brown.
I recommend serving with a fresh salad and dinner rolls!
Healthy Tuna Casserole
This classic tuna casserole isn't exactly like your mom used to make... It's Better!
- 1 – 8 oz Box of your Favorite Dry Veggie Pasta
- 2 – 5 oz Cans Chunk Tuna, Drained and Flaked
- 5 Tbsp. Butter
- 5 Tbsp. Flour
- 2 1/2 Cups Whole Milk
- 1 tsp. Salt & Pepper
- 1 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp. Dried Parsley
- 1 1/2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 3/4 Cups Frozen Peas
- 1/2 Cup Breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium pot boil salted water and cook the pasta per directions on the box to al dente (cooked but still slightly firm), strain and set aside.
- In a separate pot melt the butter until slightly bubbling.
- Add in the flour and whisk into the butter. Cook for 2-3 minutes until bubbling and slightly golden.
- Add in the seasonings and whisk well.
- Slowly add the milk while whisking continuously.
- Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- As the milk starts to thicken add in 1 cup of cheese, stirring continuously.
- Once the cheese is completely melted remove from heat.
- Taste the sauce and add more salt and pepper as needed.
- Add the sauce to the pasta and stir to coat.
- Add the Tuna and Peas to the pasta and stir to combine.
- Bake the casserole for 15 minutes.
- After the casserole has been baking for 15 minutes, pull out and top with breadcrumbs and remaining cheese.
- Bake another 5 minutes or until golden and bubbling.
- Garnish with additional parsley or green onions if desired.