I can’t think of a more classic comfort food than macaroni and cheese. This dish was the first family recipe I learned growing up and it still fills my heart with comforting nostalgia when I make it for my own little family. It is simple enough and easy enough for anyone to make, regardless of your cooking experience level. My favorite thing about this recipe though is how flexible it is. From the pasta to the cheese and the seasonings, every tweak makes this dish your own. Make this your families newest staple!
You most likely have all the ingredients you need for this recipe at any given time, making it a perfect go to weeknight meal choice. Milk, flour, pasta, cheese, butter, and seasonings of your choice. That’s it!
Cube your favorite cheese and set aside for later. I typically use Tillamook medium cheddar for a classic flavor but we have also made it a little fancier with sharper cheddar or even smoked gouda.
Cook your favorite dry pasta according to the package instructions.
I highly recommend Blue Evolution sustainably sourced seaweed pasta!
In a large sauce pan melt the butter until slightly bubbly.
Add in an equal amount of flour. So if you use 2 Tablespoons butter, use 2 Tablespoons flour.
Wisk the flour and butter together and let cook until bubbly and starting to brown slightly.
Add in your seasonings at this point. I like to add nutritional yeast, garlic powder, salt, pepper and parsley.
Slowly add your milk, whisking to combine as you pour it in. This recipe can easily be adjusted to how many servings you need. The most important thing to remember is the ratios of butter, flour and milk. So if you use 2 Tablespoons butter and flour, use 2 cups milk.
Stir the milk continuously as it thickens, be careful not to let it boil or stick to the bottom. Once it starts getting noticeably thick add in your cheese.
Stir until the cheese is completely melted and continue to cook on low until the sauce is the desired thickness.
Mix it all together and serve! Even my picky 4 year old loves my homemade mac & cheese!
Homemade Mac and Cheese
Healthy and delicious, your kid will be saying Kraft who?
- 1 Box Favorite Dry Pasta
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 2 Tbsp. All Purpose Flour
- 2 Cups Whole Milk
- 2 Cups Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 Tbsp. Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Tbsp. Parsley
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- In a large pot boil water and add in your pasta. Cook per directions on the box, strain and set aside
- In a separate pot melt the butter until slightly bubbling.
- Add in the flour and whisk into the butter. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the seasonings and whisk well.
- Slowly add the milk while whisking continuously.
- Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- As the milk starts to thicken add in the cheese, stirring continuously.
- Once cheese is completely melted remove from heat.
- Taste the sauce and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Add the sauce to the pasta and stir to coat.
- Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
I want to hear about your personal touches and variations! Share your style in the comments!