Spring has arrived and on the sporadic beautiful days when it’s not raining, it’s nice to have an easy and light dinner in your back pocket. This fresh but hearty meal is the perfect transition from the cold winter days to the freshness of spring.
For the month of April I’m going to open your world to the joys of the rockfish! This delicate white fish has a very light flavor, making it incredibly versatile. It can pair with just about anything and can be seasoned in any fashion! It is also relatively cheap compared to your more well known fish types. If you aren’t sure what to do with a previously untried type of fish let me guide you to a whole new world!
- ½ pound baby potatoes, halved
- ½ pound beats, chunked
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin avocado oil
- kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4 Rockfish fillets
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, plus 6 orange slices
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest,
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups baby arugula or other salad greens mix
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
Citrus Avocado Dressing
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 1/2 an orange
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 pinch flaky sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the potatoes and beats with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season with salt and black pepper. Roast for 20 minutes, or until tender.
2. Place the rockfish on a plate and rub with the oregano, paprika, orange zest, lemon zest, crushed red pepper flakes, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil, rubbing the seasonings evenly into each filet.
3. Remove the potatoes from the oven and push them to one side of the pan. Put the rockfish on the other side. Arrange the orange slices and lemon slices around and on top of the fish. Drizzle over 1 tablespoon olive oil. Return the pan to oven and roast for 10 to 20 minutes more, until the rockfish reaches desired doneness (flacks apart easily).
4. Meanwhile, make the dressing. Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor and mix to combine.
5. Toss the salad with desired amount of dressing and the sesame seeds.